Our gardening division needs an Experienced Lead Gardener
Looking for more horticultural challenge?
Want to work in beautiful gardens that are managed organically, where ecological function is considered alongside aesthetics?
- Formal horticultural education/training
- 5 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent plant knowledge & i.d. skills
- Naturalistic pruning skills
- Positive, personable, organized
- Supervisory and training experience
- Familiarity with organic maintenance regimes and ecological gardening
- A strong back and good level of fitness, with the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Experience operating & maintaining power equipment: hedging trimmer, leaf blower, mower, strimmer
- Ability to drive a standard transmission
- Possess a current driver's license in good standing
We work in a number of gardens, large and small, where the focus is on planting design, ecology and gardening craft. Seasonal succession is a specialty. We generally design, install, develop and maintain all of our gardens. Gardens are located primarily in Uplands and Oak Bay, although we do occasionally travel further afield for special projects, and HQ is in Fernwood.
The scope of work includes seasonal maintenance tasks, planting, plant i.d. & care, pruning, organic pest/disease/soil management, topiary and hedging, some propagation work. We currently subcontract our lawn maintenance work. Power equipment is mostly battery-powered.
In addition to the actual work of gardening, Lead Gardeners are responsible for managing their crew and day-to-day work assignments. This includes organizing and completing daily assignments and associated paperwork; assisting with scheduling; supervising and training assistant gardeners; liaising with myself, clients and subcontractors; overseeing and maintaining tools and equipment.
This position requires a person who is outgoing and diplomatic, who can work efficiently and cooperatively with a positive attitude.
Compensation is competitive, wages start at $28/hr and are based on relevant training and experience. Medical and dental benefits after a 3-month trial period, educational opportunities and skills enrichment throughout the year.
Lots of room to grow in this position as I get busier developing and managing my secondary business - Gardener's Kit.
For a glimpse at some of our projects:
Please apply by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your resume.
- A minimum of 2 horticulture-related references.
- A letter outlining your relevant qualifications and interest in the position.