A folding pocket saw has been a key piece of my basic gardening kit for many years. They are compact and so convenient, fitting neatly and unobtrusively into pockets, pouches, or holsters.
Having a Pocketboy in my toolbelt means that I can deal with small pruning jobs that are too big for secateurs as I go. I don't have to run back to the truck or the shed to get a pair of loppers, and I don't have to risk damaging my secateurs by making cuts that are too big for them.
This model, the Curve Pro, has a curved blade that allows you to saw faster and with more aggression than the straight blade. While working above shoulder height and below the knees, you can still saw on top of the branch without any extra effort, while your arm, wrist and hand remain in their natural position.
Unlike North American saws that cut on the push stroke, Japanese saws cut on the pull stroke. A different sawing motion is required and you should know that the blades can be snapped through incorrect use. Click here for Sawing Tips & Saw Care.
All Pocketboy saws have a comfortable, easy-to-grip rubbery handle and a 2-position blade-locking system. Blades are impulse-hardened which means they will stay sharp 3x longer than untreated blades. Best of all, the blades can be replaced. I've had my original handle for about 15 years.
Holster tip: The 170mm models fit neatly into the back sleeve of the Niwaki double holster during winter pruning season. Secateurs in the front and you're all set! Or try the saw holster if you want to carry it on its own.
Each Pocketboy has a colour-coded handle associated with the teeth configuration:
- Blue (fine-tooth) is great for hard, dense wood like lumber & bamboo
- Black (medium-tooth) is ideal for soft wood & most pruning jobs
- Red (large-tooth) is for young, green wood; good in the bush
- Yellow (medium-tooth) has a curved blade for faster, more aggressive cutting
- replacement blades available
- blade locks securely in two positions
- cuts on the pull stroke
- non-slip rubberized handle
- 170 has a 6.75" (170mm) blade, weight 0.62 pounds (282 grams)
- 8 teeth/inch, 8 teeth/30mm
- chrome-plated, taper-ground blade is rust-resistant & wipes clean easily
- impulse-hardened teeth for better cutting performance & stay sharper 3x longer
- made in Japan